Thursday 29 September 2016

Good morning everyone

I read the articles by Keiller & Inglis-Jassiem as well as Masters & Ellaway and agree that the student voice is imperative in the planning process of a module.  I have quite a few students that are outside if Cape Town and would like to use an online approach to be more interactive with them. These would be more e-learning than blended learning because I only get to interact with them face to face for a six week contact period at the end of their internship for revision and preparation of their board exam.

I have a few question though and these are a few concerns that were also highlighted in the articles:

1. Would a questionnaire and/or survey be sufficient to ascertain their skills pertaining to technology?(perhaps it's a silly question because they are probably more techno savvy than I am but of course it is important to know).

2. What if there isn't the necessary infrastructure at that particular site? Do I look at alternative ways particularly for just that site or do I maintain uniformity throughout and use the same medium for all the students?

3. I quite like the idea of cell phone technology (m learning) because that seems the most accessible route to interact with students but the socio-economic status vary between students so not everyone might have access to a smart phone.

4. How much of the responsibility to participate in an online activity lies with the student and how much "facilitation" is required form the teacher? In the Master & Ellaway article they suggest "handholding" could be counterproductive but that the users should also not be pushed beyond their ability. How does one  find the balance?

5. Does one set a time limit on the online activity to ensure that everyone participates within a particular time frame? What if not everyone meet the deadline? Is this then a missed opportunity and they have to take responsibility for missing the deadline and find an alternative means of performing a particular task/activity (refer to number 4)?

My head is spinning at some of the technical aspects of e-learning (quite intimidating)  but at the same time I also find that the more I read, the more I learn! Perhaps I'll get clarity from some of the articles on some of the above questions as I read more but in the meantime your input will be much appreciated.

Regards
Liezel

5 comments:

  1. Wow....those are quite complex questions. I will try to answer as succinctly as possible.
    First, I think that if we are intimidated by the technical stuff, that is normal as educators and clinicians. I have found that the best way to avoid the technical side from taking over, is to take a step back and start with the pedagogical issue.

    This is why the ADDIE process is one which we use as a basic framework for the module. To assist in avoiding that confusion.

    So what is it that you think is a problem within a module where you teach? What are students struggling with? What do you hope to achieve by modifying the module?

    Once you have those answers, the Analysis phase can begin.

    Surveys or questionnaires are invaluable as this can let you know whether or not all your students have access to the technology you're thinking of using, you can use open questions to ask for their perceptions or closed questions to identify demographics and residential status (if you're planning on using something that requires online access this is important).
    Also, remember that if you use technology in your teaching, it does not have to be something that requires an internet connection. It could be something on the learning management system of the university which students have access to on campus using the computers there.

    Regarding infrastructure, you find the learning technology that meets your needs and use that. There are many tools, apps and sites out there that are free to use and could help you.

    The time limit depends on what the learning outcome and need is. It's like any other learning activity or assignment you give to your students.

    I am a firm believer in self-directed learning. Students should be aware of the required interaction and held to it. Much like this module.

    I am not sure if this answers all your questions, but I hope that it settles some of the anxiety around the module for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lianne,yes it does.I will do what you suggested by first ascertaining what their experiences and infrastructure requirements are.I will use this by using our internal communication system which does not need any technology.I will also try my hand at your suggestion on Sunlearn with the online survey that you asked us to complete at the start of the module.What you used to formulate it.I really admired your technological skills and take comfort in the fact that you too must have started somewhere and now look how capable you are.If at the end of the module I can put together an online course I will be a happy trooper!

      Delete
  2. I too like self-directed learning and students taking responsibility for their learning. If students understand and see the benefit of the exercise they are more likely to 'run with it'. I guess what I am trying to say is that right from the beginning help the students appreciate what the benefits of the exercise. As for the 'time limit' on the online activity, I would ask to students to come up with a plan that they think would work and have a discussion about it and reach a consensus. Whatever plan is agreed must align say with the learning outcome(s).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone, thank you for this valuable discussion. Liezel, many of us feel anxious so please don't worry that you are alone. I have previously read the Keiller and Inglis-Jassiem article and will review it again. As part of the ADDIE process, where do you ask for the students opinion on your formulated plan? Do you first design and develop a plan, and that is presented to the students as options for their input? Then you adapt your design accordingly depending their recommendations and then implement?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Petula

    I don't know what the other colleague's opinions are but for me the student opinion would be part of the analysis phase and I would then design and develop according to the feedback received.

    L

    ReplyDelete